Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Liebster Award Chronicles: 11 Questions... and My Answers


As I have written before, Erin from Mr. &Mrs. Toews has nominated my blog for a Liebster award (read about what that means here)! Part of the award acceptance is to provide 11 facts about yourself and answer 11 questions that are given to you by the blogger who nominated you. I provided the 11 facts in my last Liebster post, and now here are the answers to her questions: 



What is your favorite breakfast food?

I will literally eat ANYTHING for breakfast. That includes any leftovers from the night before. It doesn’t matter how garlicky, spicy, flavorful or filling it is, I will eat it. One of my favorite leftovers for breakfast is pasta.

If you could have nominated ONE movie for a best movie in the world award, what would it be?

It might sound a little lame, but I LOVE the old, animated Alice in Wonderland. It has been my favorite since I was a kid. I guess I would have to say that movie is the best in the world.

Why do you blog?

Mostly to keep myself busy. I love it. I think one of the most rewarding things has been to see the amount of support I can get from and give to other bloggers. I love being a part of an online community like that where people share their lives and neat ideas. Everyone is so nice and cool!

What book would you recommend I read next?

Since I am in grad school, I do not get a whole lot of time to read for pleasure. I have not actually read a book cover to cover in a while (besides school books), so I will just go with one of my favorite books ever. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest by Ken Kesey. It has been one of my favorite books for many years. A few others I love are Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke and Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. A long poem worth mentioning is Howl by Allen Ginsberg.
I am currently trying to find time to read for pleasure, and I am reading The Devil’s Pool, by George Sand. I am sure I will only be able to get through it slowly, as reading my Managerial Finance book is more pressing.

Describe your morning routine.

Oh man, this one’s gonna be weird. Each morning, one of the pets wakes me up. Usually it’s the 20 lb. cat, FatSpice. She is smart enough to know that digging on me with her paw will wake me up so she can get petted and fed. Once I start stirring, the dog also joins in, and then the other cat, Darwin. They all pester me until I get out of bed. This happens at about 7. When I get up, all three of them run in a herd to the kitchen, FatSpice yelling at the dog and cutting in front of him to “be first” (whatever that means to her… it does not mean she will get food any sooner that way), and all of them tripping me. I grumble and curse. I feed them, let the dog out, and then either go back to lay in bed for a little while longer, or start the coffee pot and start cleaning the kitchen. After that, I usually eat breakfast in front of the TV and check my email and Facebook, and then I get started on homework or errands. Since I am in school, my schedule is wide open in the mornings and can vary. I am sure the whole animal herd thing would be very comical to watch. Every member of our little family has  a lot of personality.

What is your favorite quote?

My favorite quote actually comes from Lolita. It is kind of dark, but I love the way it sounds, and the truth in it for everyone. My disclaimer: I believe that almost anything can be overcome.

We all have such fateful objects-it may be a recurrent landscape in one case, a number in another, carefully chosen by the gods to attract events of specific significance for us: here shall John always stumble, here shall Jane's heart always break.”

Do you have any music recommendations?

Like many people, my taste in music is all over the map. I love Bluegrass, though. My favorite is Old Crow Medicine Show. They are pretty popular in terms of Bluegrass music, but if you have not heard them and you like Bluegrass, I suggest checking them out. I also love folk music.

Where has been your favorite place to travel?

I think my favorite place has been to Jordan, but there have been many places I also enjoyed going… and there are still so many places I would like to see! I loved Jordan because I spent so much time learning the language and about the culture, that it was amazing to be immersed in it. I went twice, and I was so happy to be able to do that, because I made some amazing friends there. The culture is so rich, and the people are so hospitable and nice. I have been to the gulf area of the Middle East as well, and did not like it nearly as much.

Garmisch, Germany was another favorite. It is like heaven there. It is so beautiful and mountainous and clean. The food is good, and there is plenty to see and do. I think it is hands-down at the top of the most beautiful places I have been. Other honorable mentions are Lausanne, Switzerland, Oslo, Norway, and Grenoble, France.

Prague was yet another favorite, and somewhere I am dying to go back to. M and I have a honeymoon that we have been planning to take (time constraints prevented us from taking it immediately following the wedding) and Prague is on our list of places to go.

What sorts of things do you pin on Pinterest?

At first I could not get into Pinterest. I was confused by it, I think. Now, I could spend hours there. I love finding tutorials for cool DIY things and pinning those. I especially love sewing tutorials, because sewing is something I love to do, but I always would love to get better at.
I also love pinning ideas for a future home. I love space-maximizing ideas. I am kind of a pack-rat and M makes fun of me constantly for it. It is mostly fabric and craft stuff, which I think you can never have too much of!

Do you prefer to buy ground coffee or whole coffee beans?

Omg. Whole coffee beans all the way! We love the freshness of them. We use a French press, so we love to grind our own beans, put a few Cardamom pods in the bottom of the French press, and pour the coffee in. Both M and I love Turkish coffee and will make it occasionally, but when we want to be simpler, we will just pop some Cardamom pods into the French press. It adds some very unique flavor!

What is your most views or your favorite post from your blog?

I haven’t really looked at the one with the most views, but I think my favorite post so far has been the one about jewelry organization in our bedroom. I have gotten so much accomplished toward my goal of decorative organization and maximizing space, so I am proud of that one.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment