Thursday, February 28, 2013

Something made from something made...

Well, I have been kinda slacking on posting once a week as was my goal. This jewelry tutorial should make up for it. :) It is a simple little thing, but turned out oh-so-cute.

 I hate having things laying around the house that I do not use (trust me, we have plenty of stuff like that around here). I loved these very imperfect gold freshwater pearls when I bought them. Who doesn't have a thing for pearls? I love them. I made this necklace about a year ago, because I loved the pearls and the middle glass bead and thought they went together perfectly:

... But when I put it on, it just didn't look right to me. Maybe it was the length, maybe it was something else. I don't know. I just did not like it, so I did not wear it. I got sick of having it sitting there in my jewelry display, so today I decided I would do something about it and use those pearls to make something I really wanted to wear!

I have had a thing for copper and brass tones lately and have been loving mixing metallic shades, so I went and bought some copper-toned chain at Wal Mart. I would usually go to a craft store for things like this, but since I was there already, and so was the copper chain... I bought it. Here it is:


I bought two of these, and there was tons of length. I also bought some gold eyelet and pin-head things (why do I not know what these are called?) to link the pearls to the chain.






So during my recorded episode of Catfish, I just separated the links to the chains, removed the bent link, then replaced it with a gold pin-thing with a pearl on it!







After this, of course I closed it off by cutting it, inserting the other link and bending a loop like the first one to connect them. I did this at random spots on the chain so there would be no set pattern when all of the chains (I cut the long chains into 4 smaller ones to make the necklace with) were together and I was wearing the necklace. After that, I attached a clasp. You do not have to, if you do not want. You can simply separate the links like the above picture, and then hook them back together to make continuous chains, as long as they fit over your head! :)

Here is the finished product:



I will try to get a picture of myself wearing the necklace. Normally I would have my husband do it, but he is very far away right now, so when I get one, I will update it!


No comments:

Post a Comment